E-Rock reports on his ABQ Beer Week experience from Wednesday:
After spending most of Tuesday at several different establishments doing beer tastings, I decided to take it easy and enjoy Marble’s Real Ale night. Marble had three cask beers to choose from, including their Maibock (7.0% ABV), Doppel Bock (7.0%), and the collaboration beer 505 Five (8.0%).
I decided to go with the sweet and exceptionally smooth Maibock. Marble was packed full of beer lovers, so I didn’t get a chance to track down one of the staff members to ask about the ins and outs of the secondary fermentation processes that enhance the taste of the already delicious Maibock.
Instead, I kicked back on their comfy couch and slowly enjoyed my beer as I watched the Sixers tie up their series with Boston on the big screen behind the bar. (E-Rock is a Knicks fan, so yes, he dislikes the Celtics more out of those two rival teams. — Stoutmeister)
I will be out and about in the Nob Hill area doing some tastings tonight. I hope to see you there.
Thursday’s Beer Week events
- It’s a double dose of Oregon as Deschutes and Rogue will offer tastings at the two O’Niell’s locations. Deschutes, which produces the awesome Obsidian Stout (unknown if it will be among those available), will be the Juan Tabo location. Rogue will unleash the fury of multiple beers — Dead Guy, Double Dead Guy, John John Dead Guy, Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Mocha Porter — for sampling at the Nob Hill location. Dead Guy and the XStreme Imperial Porter will both be available in full pints for sale. Both tastings will kick off at 5 p.m. and run for two hours.
- Not to be outdone by those Oregon breweries, Colorado’s Left Hand will offer up a very special beer at Two Fools starting at 5 p.m. Week Sauce is describe as a “stealthy coffee porter” that checks in at 6-percent ABV. Left Hand brews up this batch anytime there is a beer week around the country, so let’s give a big (left) hand to the men and women from Longmont.
- Red Hook moves on over to Ibiza, another trendy Nob Hill eatery, from 6 to 8 p.m. There will be four Red Hook beers to sample, with a pint of your favorite available, and you get to keep the special pint glass.
- Kelly’s finally jumps into Beer Week with a special release of a Belgian trippel. It will be poured in the brewery area, not the restaurant, so head on back, try some, and get the chance to talk to the brewing staff about its creation.
- There will be more beer pong at Spectators tonight starting at around 7 p.m., for those who have the appropriate hand-to-eye coordination.
- It’s not technically a Beer Week event, but for those on the west side of town, do not forget that Broken Bottle will be playing host to a night of stand-up comedy beginning at 8 p.m. Chris and Donovan are also hard at work with BBB’s first seasonal beer, Nacho Brau, which should be available in the coming weeks.