Last year, the Crew was heading back from our tour of the southeast breweries when we made the rather crazy decision to suddenly head over to Silver City to catch Toad Fest at Little Toad Creek. This small-but-fun festival, run by the NM Brewers Guild, is a fun way for folks in the southwest corner of the state to try some unique beers from up north.
This year is no different, as the Guild is taking 19 beers* from Albuquerque and Santa Fe breweries. Many of them are specialty and seasonal offerings, rather than just the usual packaged or house beers. Toad Fest will take place Saturday from 2 p.m. to midnight at the Little Toad Creek Taproom on the corner of Broadway and Bullard Streets. The beers will be tapped inside at the main bar and outside in the courtyard/patio area on the east side of the building. There will be a beer garden in the alleyway with games, too.
The live music lineup is Amos Torres at 2 p.m., Sissy Brown at 5 p.m., and Shotgun Calliope at 8 p.m.
Now, as for those beers, here are the 19 we were informed about (hence the * above). Little Toad Creek said on the event’s Facebook page that there will be 24 available, including some from its own supply.
- Bombs Away: Hellfire Green Chile Golden
- Bosque: Strawberry Sabotage, The Good Place (PA)
- Broken Trail: Pepe the Mule, Double Black Ale
- La Cumbre: Project Dank, Slice of Hefen
- Marble: Session IPA, El Gabacho
- Nexus: Imperial Cream Ale, Scotch Ale
- Red Door: Roamer Red, Vanilla Cream Ale
- Santa Fe: 7K IPA, Twisted Root
- Tractor: Lemon & Honey, Goathead Hador (Doppelbock)
- Turtle Mountain: Copper Lager, Amnesia Ale
Per the event page, Sidetrack and Taos Mesa are also scheduled to be available, so if we learn the identity of those beers, we will update this list.
Luke and I had a great time at Toad Fest last year. The event was packed, but not overly crowded. The staff and crowd were friendly and helpful. It was a great way to enjoy some beers and soak in the culture of the mountain town.
If you need to get out of town for the weekend, consider Toad Fest.