If anyone missed the news from the Albuquerque Journal on Friday, Drafty Kilt Brewing has to change its name by the end of 2017. It turns out that there was a beer called Drafty Kilt from Monday Night Brewing in Atlanta, and it was trademarked back in 2010. To avoid a possible future lawsuit, Drafty Kilt now has a short time to brainstorm up a new moniker.
All of us in the Crew decided it would be a good idea to lend owner/brewer Mike Campbell a hand, but even we could use some extra help. That is why we are calling upon all of you, the beer-loving public, to help us come up with a new name for Drafty Kilt.
Here are a few rules.
- No offensive names. Come on, folks, keep it PG. The federal government has to approve this, and you know that people in Washington have no sense of humor.
- Do your homework, please check to make sure there is not an existing brewery or beer trademarked with the name. Google is your friend.
- Sorry, but just changing letters in the name (e.g. Draughty Kilt) will not work. Mike made sure to point this out. So the new name cannot be a phonetic variant of the current one.
- All names will be considered, but if you have a really good one with a Scottish theme, that would probably be best. Just don’t get the producers of Highlander mad or anything.
- How to submit? Simple, send us your best ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can direct message us via any of our social media platforms. We just need to have a way to contact you (see below). We will then forward all serious suggestions to Drafty Kilt.
- Will there be a prize? Yes, if your new name for the brewery is chosen, there will be some sort of reward from the owners.
- If we could get all suggestions by Friday, that will help out the brewery. They hope to apply for a new name sooner than later, giving the government plenty of time to respond.
Get creative, have fun, and help a brewery out. Hey, there are worse ways to spend the quiet hours the rest of this week.