Well, tap takeovers are a great opportunity to really showcase what else a brewery has, while giving you another sample of one or more of their beers that you already love. Chances are, most of us have hunted down every last BP beer to hit our desert stores, but then again, there are plenty of folks out there who haven’t yet had a chance to try all of them, or any of them, yet. Either way, tap takeovers are a fun way to sample a brewery and meet plenty of other voracious gormandizers just like yourself. Recently, I sat down with Ballast Point rep Thomas DeCaro to talk about what’s happening for Ballast Point in Santa Fe in the coming weeks.
Over an award-winning Grunion Pale Ale, we talked local brewers, San Diego brewers, and breweries, and possibly the idea of Santa Fe Brewing and Ballast Point coming together for a collaboration of events. But, as we’ll roll out those details in other articles, I wanted to let you all know about a really cool event DeCaro set up in Santa Fe for today (Thursday). It’s a huge, geek-themed tap-takeover inspired by the new movie Suicide Squad. DeCaro had this to say about it: “For this we chose beers that a best represented the movie and the Suicide Squad. My roommate, Mike Riggs, myself, and the Draft manager at Violet Crown (Cinemas), Eli Clark, sat down and came up with the names and the draft list. We are all nerds, so this was fun for the three of us.”
The BP Beer List:
- Wahoo White, AKA Harley’s Wahoo Wallop: Brewed with unfiltered, un-malted wheat and oats that give it a distinctive cloudy complexity. True to the Belgian tradition, this Witbier boasts a refreshing, citrusy flavor thanks to the orange peel and coriander we add to the boil. (4.5% ABV, 12 IBUs)
- Grunion Pale Ale, AKA Dead Shot’s On Target Ale: Our 2014 GABF Gold Medal Winning Pale Ale. Originating from an employee-only home brew contest, this award-winning hoppy pale ale is named after the tiny local fish known for late night frolics on shore. A pair of new hop varieties lend strong, yet balanced, summer melon aromas and herbal flavors, while a soft caramel malt sweetness holds it all together. (5.5% ABV, 35 IBUs)
- Sea Monster, AKA Killer Croc: This bold, rich brew first lures you in with roasted coffee notes, then grabs hold with hints of bittersweet chocolate and currant. Backed with a perfect hop balance, you’ll soon discover this is one monster of mythic proportions. (10% ABV, 65 IBUs)
- Grapefruit Sculpin, AKA Boomerang’s Comeback IPA: Our 2010 and 2014 World Beer Cup gold-medal-winning IPA is a testament to our homebrew roots. Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal-winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish. (7.0% ABV, 70 IBUs)
- Calm Before the Storm, AKA Joker’s Slight of Hand: Calm Before the Storm came from a quest for a warm-weather alternative to our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter. Like its more robust cousin, we infuse a punch of flavor using cold brewed Caffé Calabria coffee and a hint of vanilla. But, this time, we added it to a lighter-bodied, golden cream ale. The end result is a surprisingly bright, coffee-forward beer that’s perfectly refreshing. (5.5% ABV, 15 IBUs)
- The Commodore, AKA Rick Flag’s All-American Stout: The Commodore came out of our search for a medium-bodied American stout. The recipe began at our R&D pilot brewery, but quickly became a favorite of our crew. Strong flavors of roast coffee and bittersweet chocolate balance with light citrusy hop aromas, highlighted by a crisp, bitter finish. One sip of this gold-medal-winning stout will have you ready to take command of your own fleet. (6.5% ABV, 60 IBUs)
- Orange Vanilla Fathom, AKA the Suicide Squad Special: Our Orange Vanilla Fathom India Pale Lager continues our quest for exploration. The piney and citrus hop aromas of our Fathom IPL combines with sweet orange and creamy vanilla — while staying true to classic lagering techniques. Brewed with a touch of nostalgia, it may remind you of a childhood treat, but this one is just for adults. (7% ABV, 70 IBUs)
The event is set for Violet Crown at 1606 Alcaldesa St, Santa Fe, NM 87501. Call (505) 216-5678 if you need more information. It all kicks off today (Thursday) at 6 p.m. This should be a really fun event, and I hear that if you dress up in costume, you may get something awesome. See you at the taps, Santa Fe!
For more #CraftBeer info and @nmdarksidebc news, follow me on Twitter @SantaFeCraftBro.