Summerfest in Los Alamos was canceled in June because of fire risk, to the disappointment of many, but thanks to the abundance of rain recently, Ullr Fest is a go this Saturday. As always, the annual event will be hosted by and held at the Pajarito ski area just outside of Los Alamos. Fans of snow sports are encouraged to show up in their finest Viking garb and inspire the Norse god Ullr to bless the mountain with a bounty of blizzards this winter.
Everyone is welcome to attend for the excellent hiking, mountain biking, music, food, and, of course, local craft beers. COVID has dominated everything the last few years, it seems, but this year’s festival will hopefully feel more like the Before Times; there will be no special COVID protocols in place as there were in 2021.
Since you’re here for the beer, let’s get right to it. The breweries expected to be in attendance are Bathtub Row (from Los Alamos), Beer Creek, Boxing Bear, Boese Brothers, Canteen, Ex Novo, Marble, Red River, Second Street, Sidetrack, and The 377. The entry fee is $20, which gets you beer sampling, a souvenir glass, and a full pour of your favorite. The beers will be available from noon to 5 p.m. Be sure to bring your ID to get in.
Stoutmeister tracked down the beer lists for most of the attendees.
- Bathtub Row: Ullr Fest Sahti, Ctrl-Alt-Repeat (Dusseldorf Altbier), Hoppenheimer IPA, New Mexi Lager
- Beer Creek: Bootlegger Blonde, San Marcos Stout, End of Summer (American Wheat), Marzen, plus cans of Picture Rock Porter
- Boese Brothers: TBA
- Boxing Bear: Uppercut IPA, Black and Blue Tart, New Mexi-kolsch, Apple Bear Cider, Chocolate Milk Stout, Bear Knuckle IPA, Metal Head Stout, Paw Swipe Pale Ale
- Canteen: Oktoberfest, Mango Passion Fruit Wheat, Exodus IPA, Dougie Style Amber
- Ex Novo: Mass Ascension IPA, German Overalls (Oktoberfest), Perle Haggard German Pilsner, Phantaztic IPA
- Marble: Cerveza, Desert Fog, Marblefest, Pumpkin Noir
- Red River: Lazy Bear Blonde, Copper Chair Amber, Bad Medicine DIPA, Cacao Fuego (Green Chile Chocolate Stout)
- Second Street: Brown Ale, Oktoberfest, 2920 IPA, Agua Fria Pilsner, plus one TBD beer
- Sidetrack: Basecamp IPA, Oktoberfest, Medusa Fresh-Hop Pale Ale, A Tribe Called Kolsch, Irish Red
- The 377: TBA
Santa Fe-based band Pigment will be playing rock music and a variety of other musical styles in the afternoon. The lodge’s cafe will be open and serving delicious food to complement the beer. You’re welcome to bring blankets and chairs to sit in the grassy area next to the deck. And, as always, weather in the mountains can be rather dynamic, shall we say, so be prepared for anything from hot ‘n’ sunny to a cold downpour.
As in years past, Los Alamos County will be running free bus service from Los Alamos High School to the ski hill every 30 minutes from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Gas prices are still a bit high, so consider saving some money and taking the shuttle, especially if you do any beer sampling.
Enjoy the party! Some of the Crew will likely be in attendance, so if you see us, say hello.